Margot eventually had her infected Hickman line removed on Thursday evening (9 October) and two temporary cannulas were fitted whilst she was under general anaesthetic, one to each of her hands.
The 4 times daily courses of IV antibiotics are to continue until the middle of next week to ensure that the pseudomonas infection is eradicated, but since the removal of her Hickman line Margot hasn’t spiked a temperature, which is a good sign.
We held back from giving her one of the scheduled & regular paracetamol doses earlier this afternoon to see how she would cope and thus far Margot appears to be holding up well without it.
Earlier today, both cannulas failed and had to be removed. Eventually, at past 22:00 tonight a new cannula was fitted and now appears to be working well. Bloods taken for testing and IV antibiotics running.
Margot was very brave but is exhausted.
The next step is for Margot to undergo a further operation on Monday to install a new central line (a port) into her chest and hopefully we will be able to return home on Tuesday, all being well.
Earlier this evening, Margot was in good spirits and we had a father / daughter “moment”: click here to see a short video.
Thursday’s blood results were not very encouraging, however the fact remains that there isn’t anything more that we can do, other than continue to take one day at a time and seek to make the best decisions we can, as we go.
For now, we need to wait for the current situation to settle and then review again early next week.
11 October 2014